Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sexual Devolution

The cultural revolution of the 60s-70s involved 3 parts: drugs, politics & sex. I took part in all 3, but now I would say only the political part was a good thing. The negative outcome of the drugs part is clear. But I don't think many people see the downside of the sexual revolution (other than Rick Santorum et al). I will readily grant that sexual attitudes before the revolution were just as wrong, but our change wasn't the solution. We simply swung the pendulum all the way in the other direction. The repression and rejection of 'loose' women and 'bastards' were cruel. But the divorce of sex from love is equally wrong. Treating other human beings as instruments for physical satisfaction IS demeaning.
To justify this we have created a culture where sex is a necessity. This is untrue. The only reason to believe this is to justify casual frequent sex.
I totally disagree with the right that homosexual relations are wrong, and I despise their treatment of sex outside of marriage as evil and immoral, but I do agree that sex should only accompany a serious, caring relationship.
I can only hope the pendulum can swing to the middle someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment