Wednesday, February 5, 2014

odds and ends

The odd is the reaction to a beautiful ad by Coke. I would go into that, but I think Colbert covered it pretty well, so I will refer you to his site.
The end is PSH.
This was more than a shock. This was the first time in many years that a death of someone I didn't know felt as unreal as that of a relative.
At first I was angry at him. How could he not respect his amazing gift more? How could he take this gift away from all of us?
Then I learned about the heroin mixture that is killing many people in the northeast. As if this drug wasn't deadly enough, someone is mixing it with something that makes it worse. So we don't know how many amazing people we have lost.
Next I was surprised to learn how much I didn't know about him. The man was an actor, not a celebrity. Celebrities get their every move publicized, but with actors, we really only know what we see on the stage. I knew nothing about his struggles over the years, and we still don't know what drew him back into this horrible habit.
Now I just feel sad and lost. I am 15 years older than he was. He should have outlived me. I should never have had to see this day.
I see I am still confusing brilliance with good sense and emotional control.
I was foolish and I feel robbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment