Thursday, November 8, 2012

rich man, poor man

All through the recent campaign, I kept hearing talking heads say "The American people don't resent wealth." And every time I thought, "Well, I do."
Now I realize I was wrong.
It's not the wealth I resent, it's the attitude.
Wealthy people mostly really want wealth and did what it took to get it. OK, as long as it was legal.
The problem comes not with them getting what they wanted, but them demanding that we ALL want it too.
I personally didn't want to be wealthy, so I didn't 'work hard and get ahead'. I accept that they will have wealth and I won't, but I want them to accept it too.
I don't want 3, or 5, or how ever many houses, but I do want one.
I don't want 10 or 20 or how ever many cars, but I do want to be able to get around, be that with a car, bicycle, or mass transit.
In short, I want the basics to be comfortable in 21st century America, whatever that may mean.
Part of the problem is that 'the basics' keep changing. Some conservatives complain because the poor have microwaves and cable, but microwaves are actually the cheapest way to have hot food these days, and without either cable/satellite or a digital TV, you can't have TV at all anymore, and how will you hear about emergencies?
The other part of the problem is the feeling that we all have to be driven and ambitious. This is not and cannot be true.
There is infinite variety among people and many of us are not driven or want to be. We are honorable, responsible people and go to work and contribute to society, but we are satisfied with simpler lives. Without us, who would fill all the support positions that are still around?
And in return for that, we want basic human decency and a few comforts.
The idea that we can't have this life IS offensive and we DO resent it.
Or at least I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment