Thursday, May 23, 2013

Looking and leaping

While I don't know yet the content of Obama's speech today, much of it has been 'leaked', so I will go ahead and comment on it.
I am really more interested in the Guantanamo part than the drone part. From what I have heard, we should expect some good news here. Around 1/2 of the remaining detainees can expect expedited action on their cases. This is a big and welcome step.
In addition, I am quite satisfied with the handling of the IRS 'scandal'. As a line worker in my career, it is very believable to me that these local workers came up with policy on their own. I think these congressmen must have never worked on the frontlines if they don't know this happens all the time in most, if not all, institutions. People who make policy don't get to see how it affects those who have to deal with it every day. OF COURSE they make changes to try to make it fit reality.
And it seems today that the document dump has taken the wind out of the Benghazi sails.
Many criticize the President for taking time and being cautious, but I think these examples show that this is a better way to govern.  And they show that, after taking the time to gather and consider the necessary information, he can act quite decisively. This is an important combination for someone in his position.
I shudder to think of where we would be if Hairtrigger McCain had the power of the presidency.
When you have the responsibility of the leader of the free world, much more often than not, slow and steady wins the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment