Friday, December 7, 2012

Philosophy

So, now, in this season of great signicance to Christians, Bill O'Reilly says Christianity is a philosophy, not a religion.
If I put any credence to his statements, it would be good news for me. I have always liked the philosophy of Christianity. It's the religion that bothers me. I can't get behind their ideas on creation, salvation, or condemnation.
My own evolving beliefs have come to be a mash-up of science (the age & creation of the earth and the emergence of homo sapiens, Native American (the Great Spirit, without any characteristics that make it more prone to some segment of humanity), Celtic ( worship that is the celebration of the rhythm and life of the earth and our connection to it), and eastern (reincarnation).
And recently I have come to a whole new understanding of Christianity, through the medium of film. First I saw Religulous, Bill Mahers film, wherein I learned that the story of the savior was borrowed, as were many of the Christian legends, from other religions that had gone before. That left me wondering if possibly there had not even been a Jesus, something I had never questioned before. And if that was so, where did all those beautiful teachings come from?
I found the answer in another film later that told the story of the Essenes, whose
'philosophy' matched those teachings rather closely.
So it is possible that there are no Christians, because there was no Jesus Christ. Maybe we are all just Essenes and it is a philosophy after all.
Check it out, Bill, you may be right!

No comments:

Post a Comment