Friday, June 22, 2012

God?

I  read an article lately in which a poor woman in a forgotten area of eastern Kentucky said she didn't like mainstream denominations because she didn't like people trying to "put God in a box." I can really relate to that woman. Except I haven't just abandoned mainstream Christianity, I have pretty much abandoned all of the large religions in the world.
Sure, I find bits and pieces in many of them that resonate, but in general, I find that they all try to bring God
( a term I just use for its convenience) down to an understandable level.
Let's face it: People think they have a right to understand everything all the time. I can respect the search for knowledge, but I think we need a little more humility. We are not as close to being God as we think.
So I have more free form beliefs. And I definitely don't think I understand God. I don't think I can. But I do trust him/her/it to do the right thing. Without owing me an explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment